Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Practicum Post 7-Jarchow

Well, with 9 total views and one contact made I will have to settle for a less than stellar career for short lived film on vimeo. While this may frustrate me in terms of the spirit of the assignment, I was able to learn about a community that I had know relatively little knowledge about and become involved in the process. Just yesterday I noticed that my cousin who is actively pursuing a career in the film and cinematography had only 100 views on a video he poured months of filming and editing on. His video has also been up for more than 2 years.
Throughout this process I was able to realize that vimeo can be used in one of two ways. First, it can almost act as a linkedin page for filmmakers where people in the film industry can view their reel and past works. Secondly, it can merely act as a space for amateur filmmaker to post videos for their friends and relatives to see. Often times being a link that is sent over another type of website, like facebook for example. It is often dubbed the sophisticated alternative to youtube yet when you pair the two together the two sites are almost completely different. Even though I was aware that these differences were present, it still did not prepare me for the sheer difficulty of circulating a video on vimeo.

1 comment:

  1. I've never really visited Vimeo, but I would be willing to check it out. I suppose I didn't think it was very different than youtube, but I'd be interested to see the differences.

    ReplyDelete