Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Practicum Post #3

After I downloaded the Wordpress files onto my computer, I was initially at a bit of a loss on how to go forth from there. The Wordpress tutorials were some help in getting set up technically, but I still had some questions. Specifically, I wanted to be able to modify a Wordpress template in Adobe Dreamweaver. Thus beganmy experience with Lynda.com—an online software tutorial service that (to my excitement)every UW student has access to with their NetID.

I had never used Adobe Dreamweaver for any significant purpose before, so I was still pretty
new to the whole situation. Luckily, though, Lynda.com had an online lesson specifically for using Wordpress and Dreamweaver in conjunction. Thanks to the site, I was able to learn the basics of the program in a way that was specifically tailored to my needs.

So, with a bit of general understanding under my belt, I began the long and arduous task of developing the site's look and feel. (This process has never really stopped...)

The first step in developing my site's aesthetic began by selecting a pre-made template from Wordpress's database. I ended up choosing one called "Motion"; not because I particularly liked the color scheme or layout (I would modify most of that later), but instead because of the structural features. For my multimedia blog, I had a vision of a navigation bar at the top which would filter content by type. "Motion" had a navbar which could filter posts by categories, and I thought I would be able to modify this to do what I wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment