Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Practicum Post 7

I cannot believe the semester is already over and this will be my last post for Comm. 346. I wanted to use this post to summarize my complete experience on Eons. At first I was very skeptical in joining the senior social networking site, Eons. In the beginning, no one would friend me, or comment on my profile. It took a while to take a step back and look at the situation from their point of view. They must have felt a sort of intrusion when a 21 year old college student was on 'their' site. In the beginning of Eons, they would not have allowed a 'minor' to join the site, but after the make-up of the site was changed, it became open to anyone with an internet connection.

Once my friend Sue friended me, and explained the workings of the SNS, I was able to gain more friends and engage a lot more conversation. The best way to do this, which I was informed, was to join as many groups as I could, and participate in their threads. I found this to be very useful. Once I started engaging with them, they began to engage with me. It made my time on the site much more enjoyable and useful. I was able to get up to 12 friends, and my profile has been viewed over 200 times. It really made me feel good to know I was connecting to older adults on the online format.

Eons really is a great community with great people. They are very trustworthy and honest, and made be feel extremely welcome. I fed off their excitement in meeting a young college student and learning why I was interacting on Eons. This experience was very rewarding, and I plan to continue checking my profile, and continuing the relationships I have formed.

~Jared

No comments:

Post a Comment