Wednesday, April 27, 2011

practicum Post 6

This post will be about creating an article. The first thing that I want to say is that it was almost impossible to find an subject/person/place or thing at the time of trying to create an article. Wikipedia has basically everything there is to look up on the internet. I decided to create a wikipedia page for a very successful horse trainer and my dads friends Jerry Hollendorfer. I was actually shocked that he didn't have a page considering that he is one of a handful of trainers to have 5000 + wins. As I wrote in an earlier post, wikipedia basically has its own language. So while writing my article I had to make sure I was using the right format. I created it by first writing everything I wanted to post on a Word document. Then, I simply copied and pasted what I wrote into wikipedia. From there I formatted it accordingly which took a while but there is a basic pattern to it.
Originally, my article was four paragraphs long and i sited the NTRA website. But just like my other post, I somehow managed to do it wrong again. I really do not understand how I did it wrong. My only guess would be that maybe I didn't change enough of the NTRA words. I really don't know. Currently, the article has been shortened to a short paragraph. Also, the format of the side box was fixed up and better formatted.
Overall, I am happy that wikipedia/the NTRA have such high standards for articles. It gives me confidence that articles on wikipedia are generally trustworthy when they aren't already flagged for being untrustworthy. I will say that I still do not understand what was wrong with my original try and trying to contact my "editor" his response was not very helpful. But i guess its a good thing......

No comments:

Post a Comment