Thursday, May 5, 2011

Practicum post #5: Content

Once I had the basic platform for my blog designed, it was time to fill it up with content. For most of my creative works, I function on my computer, so I had more than enough. Organizing it, though, was a different issue. I decided to start semi-chronologically (picking up where I left off on my travel blog from my time abroad), but soon decided that I'd have to be a little more nuanced than that. I wanted a diverse array of content... every post should be something different than before.

So, I took an inventory of everything I wanted to post, then made a list of initial blog posts to be made. I ended up with about 20 bits of content. I organized them by media type (Photos, film, drawing, design, music, writing, radio) and began uploading them, one by one, into separate posts. My choice of basing my blog off of the "Motion" theme to base my blog off of began to pay off here, because it really helped bring some logic to the madness. Each post was intended to be different than the one before it, but by clicking on a "category" tab at the top, a reader can easily choose to view just a single medium.


I had a much more difficult time coming up with a site name than I did coming up with actual content. This had been something I was struggling with for a long time, actually—since before I even began working on this project. It had been, for a while, actually, the only thing keeping me from making a blog. I had run through a lot of potential titles in my head, and almost settled on "For the Turnstiles," a Neil Young song title that in retrospect wouldn't have made much sense as the title of this blog. I wasn't too satisfied with any of my ideas, but one day as I was flipping through my iTunes library, I came across the song "Colorful Revolution" by the Redwalls.

It was perfect! My blog was intended to be a mix of art and insight. As a Com Arts and Poli Sci major, I couldn't think of a better name to sum up the two disciplines. I checked online at GoDaddy, and to my surprise, the domain was untaken! Thus, colorfulrevolution.com was born.

No comments:

Post a Comment