Thursday, May 5, 2011

Practicum #4: Still a gimmick

So I'm about to embark on a trip to Lathrop Hall right now. Why? Because ARIS told me to:



I know when I get there, it'll take a minute or so for it to recognize that I'm there, and then I'll be rewarded with one small picture of the building and some goofy voiceover. I get the exploration part of ARIS, or at least the idea of it, but the execution is very poor. The game's no fun. You walk to where you're told, watch the content the phone provides, then move on. That's it, just those three aspects of gameplay.

For the amount of time it takes, ARIS isn't really worth anything more than a tryout. Initially, it was cool seeing the location-based games craze coming to Madison on a local scale, but now it just feels like a very rough attempt.

No comments:

Post a Comment