Thursday, May 5, 2011

Final practicum

I realized I had been neglecting facebook on these posts, so I just wanted to discuss why.

One reason is because we all probably know how facebook works. I didn't feel the need to go into the logistics of how it worked as I would wager that everyone has at least cursory knowledge of how the site works.

The other reason, as I've touched on, is because Facebook really, really sucks as far as discussion. Despite it being the most likely to be determined a community at face value (due to it's using real names and pictures and really just being a website where a lot of people gather) the interface does not lend itself to real conversations.

If someone were to comment on a news post from the Brewers, it gets buried pretty immediately as there are dozens to hundreds of comments on a post, with just 2-3 showing at a time without a user purposefully clicking "more comments". In addition, there is no notification that tells you if there are new comments (or your notification box would get flooded) and it doesn't say how many new comments there are on a post.

I don't know. Facebook is fine and all, just not for the purpose of discussing the Brewers.

No comments:

Post a Comment