Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Practicum Post

So, I have recently been introduced to the idea of hydraulic fracturing for natural gas after seeing the movie Gasland (if you haven't yet seen this movie, I highly suggest it). Now, I wouldn't say I am much of a person for documentaries, but this one definitely peaked my interest by showing the ugly side that is associated with "fracking" for natural gas thousands of feet below the earth's surface. After seeing the movie, I attended a lecture by the director of Gasland, Josh Fox. He mentioned several different organizations that a person can get involved with if they want to help fight this environmental battle and one of the organizations that he mentioned was the NRDC.

Realizing this connection, I decided to look up any information I could fine. The search engine on the NRDC website brought up several different links that were really helpful. I first get some information from a blog by a senior attorney in NRDC's New York Urban Program. Kate Sinding in interested in the New York City drinking water supply, which gets its source from the Marcellus Shale. The Marcellus Shale as I learned from the movie has the largest natural gas potential, but if it starts to be drilled drinking water for NYC, Pennsylvania, and other surrounding areas will be affected. Kate has written many blogs on this subject and oftentimes there are some people who comment on what she writes. However, these comments are definitely coming from people who already have interest in the topic and have some background information that they are able to supply. I do notice that Kate responds to people's comments, which does help to hint of the idea of community in this website.

Click here for a short clip of the Gasland Trailer from HBO...

No comments:

Post a Comment