Thursday, March 17, 2011

Practicum Post #2- Reddit- is to news, like Wikipedia is to knowledge

Sorry, I've been really behind in making any posts... but everytime I jump on reddit, I always lose track of time.

I suppose I skipped this for most of you... let me take some time to explain Reddit to you.
The first thing I did before I went to reddit, was to google reddit, and stop by my dear old friend, Wikipedia.

Reddit pronounced "read it" is a social news website, owned by Condé Nast Digital, a subsidiary of Advance Magazine Publishers Inc. Users (also referred to as redditors) have the option to submit links to content on the Internet or submit "self" posts that contain original, user-submitted text. Other users may then vote the posted links "up" or "down" with the most successful links gaining prominence by reaching the front page. In addition, users can comment on the posted links and reply to other commentators consequently forming an online community. Reddit users may create their own topical sections, known informally as subreddits and officially as communities, for which to submit their links and to comment, while appealing to a specific niche.

Wikipedia really hits it on the head, as usual. I'll go into further detail in future posts about some of the mechanics of reddit. But one important point to hit before I go is that although reddit is no longer free from the hands of a for-profit corporation, it doesn't seem to be affected by it's corporate parents, and in fact, went open-source not too long after being acquired.

Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment