Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Practicum Project: Post 7

So after the long spring break away from my laptop, it was time to re-enter Moo World and pick up where I left off. Honestly, I hadn't gone more than three or four days away from the site, so I was a bit nervous as to whether or not my information would be saved or not. Everyone, take a sigh of relief. It was saved. I continued where I left off, about half way through DiscWorld...I dusted off the death I had witnessed, and I'm back to the place of my previous decease. Instead of facing the same fate as last time, I took the canoe (which adds about 30 minutes to the game) and took the round way around the forest that had previously killed me.

After completing the canoe journey, I realized this game is meant for me. It rewarded me by allowing me to go to a bar to relax!!! Since a screen shot doesn't really do it justice, here's the text from the hole-in-the-wall bar that I'm taking a load off in.

"Hibiscus Dunelm is standing at the bar, Antiquated EdiCt is sitting at the
wobbly table and a helpful street urchin is standing here.
A peanut tray full of brochures is on the bar, a dart board is mounted on a
wall, The Green Slab box and an AM Daily box are beside the bar and a pair of
soft leather shoes, a pair of black wool socks, a pair of leather gloves, two
daggers, a small knife, a yellow smock and the corpse of Auraya are on the
floor."


And after I left, it led me to a cubicle to relax in even more. Though I wanted to keep on traveling to the end of the game, I couldn't help but sit and relax for a few minutes and experience the cubicle. How luxurious does this sound?

"Small, enclosed, cramped and overly stuffy, this cubicle serves as
one of the two areas where patrons can (officially) relieve
themselves. Resting against the north wall of the cubicle is the small, rather
modern, porcelain toilet, its filth encrusted bowl only a quarter filled with
the dark and turgid waters. The foul stench in the air suggests that the
toilet is heavily used and poorly, if ever, cleaned."


After a bit of time in there, I headed back into the forest and on my journey. I just thought it was quite odd as to how the game was encouraging me to relax and take my time. It doesn't charge by the minute (I hope), so I just find it weird as to why they don't want me to hurry up and complete the level.

One other aspect of the game that's a bit off is that in playing for about two hours, nobody has said a word to me. Gabriella is nonexistent, and nobody else has even asked how I am doing. I still consider it a community, but maybe all the other "regulars" are on spring break like I was last week or something. Even if I don't complete the game and "win", this has most definitely been quite the experience. But I've devoted so much time into this, I feel as though I owe it to myself to see what the end has in store. Maybe they'll show me a picture of something instead of the purple, text-filled screen? Crossin' my fingers...

No comments:

Post a Comment